Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Who is Your Hero?

While researching the the definition of hero, I realized that I really didn't know it's meaning until I put it into the context of "My hero!"  Remember Popeye's Olive Oil and the way she gushed as she said it to Popeye after he protected her from Brutus?



According to the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, the Indo-European root is *ser meaning "to protect". According to Eric Partridge in Origins, the Greek word Hērōs "is akin to" the Latin seruāre, meaning to safeguard. Partridge concludes, "The basic sense of both Hera and hero would therefore be 'protector'."

This definition says to me that many of our heroes are not heroes at all, such as athletes, celebrities and authors, to name a few. We mistake idols for heroes, although I believe this is something most children do.

Who is your hero?  Maybe you have several. Perhaps it's someone who stood up for you in school or someone who stands up for your rights. Maybe it's an individual who saved your life. Whatever the case, I assume that you will never forget them.

This Father's Day, Jennifer! Designs is celebrating the hero. I could go on and on about why my father is my hero but instead I will write a letter to my father and tuck it neatly into a greeting card that I will present to him on Father's Day. I hope you will too.



As far as the definition of father goes - let's not get literal. Your father might be a step-father or even someone who was "like a father" to you. No matter, I encourage you to share your feelings with that person.

May your Father's Day be filled with joy, laughter and fun!
  
















No comments:

Post a Comment