Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Tips for Working From Home

Working from home certainly has its benefits. Here are a few tips that I have learned along the way that might benefit you.


Define your workspace:
Choose a room or rooms in your home that are best suited for your business. In my case, I set up a studio in a room that has proper natural light for designing. Your workspace should be comfortable enough that you won't be tempted to work in other rooms that create distraction and large enough that you don't feel boxed in.

Utilizing your workspace:
It's amazing how functional even a small room can be when it's organized. Sometimes projects require making a mess. If I don't finish a project before closing time, I leave it until the next day and clean up after completion so that I have a fresh workspace before moving forward.

A place for everything and everything in it's place is something to aspire to. I have shelves, drawers and bins that contain my paper and art supplies as well as a design desk. The studio has limited space, so I find it useful to allow room on my desk for working on a project and my laptop.  My business also requires a photography studio which is in a separate room along with my inventory and a packing station.

Create a work schedule:
Depending on the type of home business, work schedules vary. Sticking to a schedule requires discipline and is necessary for creating a proactive, productive environment.

Your schedule may vary from week to week. It is important to hold business hours. because this creates your framework. Allow time for lunch and even take a walk. In fact, invite a friend to walk with you. Socialization is great for the soul! Getting out of the office is a wonderful way to recharge and clear your head and the exercise will keep you energized. Try leaving your cell phone at home during this time.

So you have created a framework:
You wake up at a certain time, exercise, eat breakfast open up shop and work until you close up shop. How will you fill your day? This also depends on your business.

You might want to consider writing out a schedule each evening - a sort of framework within your framework.  I like like to spend at least one hour in the morning to visiting my favorite design sites as a part of my social network marketing plan. I also respond to Tweets and emails. Of course, I am always checking on my website for incoming orders, designing and filling orders. Basically, I allow time for all the tasks that are required in keeping my business moving along. I try to limit my time for each task. Most importantly, I am always looking ahead, planning and creating a strategy that aids on the growth of my company.

Consider reassessing the day's priorities and allow for changes in your schedule. Life isn't perfect, so this method will aid in positive workflow.

Stay motivated!
Not all aspects of running a business is fun but most likely you created your business because you want to do something you love. There will be days that you might want to give up. Attend a conference in your field so that you may get motivated by others in your industry. Not only will you learn but you might even get inspired.
 
What tips do you have for working from home?
I look forward to hearing from you!





No comments:

Post a Comment