Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Typographic Neon Bliss on the Vegas Strip, Thanks to the Hipstamatic App

 This is a long overdue follow up to my last post, "Vegas, It's All About the Typography." 

 

First off, WHOA! Las Vegas Blvd.otherwise known as the Vegas Strip, and Fremont Street located in "Old Vegas", is a visual overload of the senses. I arrived pretty late in the day so I decided that I would take a short nap before venturing into the neon wilderness. It turned out that by the time I awoke it was 12am. That's when I realized that the coming week would be more fun if I stopped clock watching except when absolutely necessary. Vegas never closes, so why not experience it at all times of the day?

As I approached the strip I became aware of how enormous a Vegas city block really is. I must do the research but it seems to me that each block is far larger than a NYC block. Please chime in if you're up on the stats. Equipped with my iPhone, I began to snap several pictures of the Paris Las Vegas Hotel when I realized how difficult it is to shoot neon at night. By the way, I won't be posting those pictures! The light bounced and and colors changed as I snapped the photo, leaving me with a blurry many blurry images. Kudos to the professionals. Here is one, yes one photo that I dare share: The photo to the right is of  The Venetian Hotel which looks musch better viewed on an iPhone.

All embarrassment aside, something told me that I needed a little help from my Hipstamatic app. How could I share typographical eye candy with all of you if my photos looked just o.k.? I do not profess to be a photographer, I only have composition skills on my side.

The following pictures were taken (Hipstamatic) during the day at The Neon Museum where I took a tour of the Neon Boneyard; a resting place for the incredible Vegas neon signage of the past.
 




The aisles in the Neon Boneyard are about 12 feet wide at the most which I found challenging because I was unable to shoot and entire sign but it turns out that the photographs are much more interesting because of this challenge.

This last shot was taken at the El Rancho Motel far from the strip on my way to the Hoover Dam.
As an artist, my trip inspired me in so many ways. The more I photograph, the better I see. Traveling outside of my environment invites my mind to expand on my own art and renews my creative energy. These images remind me how much I miss hand lettering and they have created a reference in which I will draw upon to design better stationery as well as fine art. I hope you have enjoyed the photographs.

Have you ever been to Vegas? What was your impression? I invite you to share your experience. If you haven't been there, I suggest going the Neon Museum.

The Neon Museum

1 comment:

  1. That's when I realized that the hotel on las vegas coming week would be more fun if I stopped clock watching except when absolutely necessary.

    ReplyDelete